Don't forget to visit The Waldorf Review for more up-to-date school reviews and news stories.

Sunday, April 29, 2012

Waldorf Schools - General Reviews

http://www.familyeducation.com/whatworks/review/front/0,2562,1-17518-5152-41515-\
1,00.html


Allows bullies
Review Rating:
"helpful" 2 of 4 people found this review to be helpful
Review contributed by:
A visitor on Oct 24, 2010 10:56:00AM
Age(s) of your child/children? 2
What do you/your child like/dislike most about this alternative to public
school? - Good bread and soup. Bully allowed full range in the class. A definite
weirdness about the class, and the teachers.
Do you have any other comments or suggestions? - If you send your child here,
watch carefully. The teacher will not look out for your child at all, and
believes that children should "find their souls". Therefore, if your child gets
beaten up in front of everyone (as mine did), the teacher will not only ignore
it, but she will applaud the bully.


Get informed, then decide....
Review Rating:
"very helpful" 35 of 40 people found this review to be helpful
Review contributed by:
A visitor on May 08, 2004 05:46:00PM
Age(s) of your child/children? - 5, 8
What do you/your child like/dislike most about this alternative to public
school? - Seems like most parents do not know what they are getting their kids
into...
Do you have any other comments or suggestions?
For many years our family was part of a Waldorf Community. I was there often,
helping with classes, field trips, meetings, fairs, etc. I knew nothing of
Anthroposophy before we joined and was told it was not in the school. I
gradually realized that this is the driving force behind Waldorf Education. I
started to learn and read and ask questions. I spent countless hours on the
Internet and even spent some time at the PLANS site and their Critics List -
just reading and learning. At that time, although I knew something was not quite
right at the school I was not ready to throw in the towel. This was the only
school our kids knew and we wanted it to work. One day the bubble popped.

After years of wanting to believe in this community and trying to help solve
some of the problems the school encountered our family was hit between the eyes
by an Anthroposophical 2x4 and the pain was intense. A disturbing incident
occurred in the school which required a quick resolution. The matter had to be
dealt with and it was not. Many parents pulled their children from the school. I
honestly believe the lack of accountability has to do with a version of karma. I
was forced to see the school in a totally different light. This realization
hurt. The groupthink of some was sad to see - these were members of our
community. I was astounded. We had no choice but to pull our children. We were
not the only ones to leave. I spent some time phoning other families who had
left over the years. I found myself suddenly wondering why I had not contacted
them earlier...just to see how they were doing? Strange - we had all been quite
close a few years earlier.

The words I heard from ex-Waldorf families to describe how they felt about
Waldorf was... "Cult". These old friends - ex-community members, were glad to
see us out of the community. They are good people. I came back to PLANS and the
Critics List on the Internet with a different perspective - suddenly these folks
were not (as I had previously thought) just out to get Waldorf. They were well
read on the subject and felt a need to vent and to help. While I do not agree
with every critic of Waldorf Education on every topic I now completely
understand the essence of Waldorf Education. As painful as it was to leave I am
so very relieved to have done so. My children are doing well. We did not have
one inquiry from the school as to our children's well being. And still I have
nothing against Anthroposophy or Waldorf Education for those who understand and
choose this very religious/occult based education. Unfortunately, Waldorf
Education promotes itself in a misleading manner. This accounts for many painful
misunderstandings.

My children are adapting well to their new situation. It takes time but they
want nothing to do with the old school. While some of our Waldorf experience was
good (knitting, baking, etc.) the fundamental essence of Waldorf is steeped in
occultism, mysticism, karma and (re) incarnation. This is not what I was led to
believe prior to enrolling our children. I understand this now. If I had known
this before we would not have joined.

I write this testimonial anonymously for a simple reason. When I expressed my
serious concerns - through the appropriate channels to the school - a teacher
threatened me with a lawsuit. What I had asked for is a meeting. I was ignored.
Instead, many of us pulled our children. This matter is not resolved and I am
considering my options. I was advised to post this anonymously. I have since
learned that the accountability problem we experienced is quite common within
the Waldorf movement. I have met many parents with similar stories from other
schools. If you join a Waldorf school do not expect accountability. It is a case
of buyer beware. You can expect a disturbing version of karma. I write this now
for no other reason than to warn prospective parents before they get involved in
something they do not understand. There is much more to Waldorf than that which
appears on the surface. Research Waldorf Education from every angle BEFORE you
enrol your children. Please.


PK: I loved this part: "I came back to PLANS and the Critics List on the
Internet with a different perspective - suddenly these folks were not (as I had
previously thought) just out to get Waldorf. They were well read on the subject
and felt a need to vent and to help. "

YOU'RE WELCOME!