Don't forget to visit The Waldorf Review for more up-to-date school reviews and news stories.

Sunday, January 8, 2012

Pharyngula

Quacks everywhere

 

John Stumbles says:

#177 Margaret Sachs
OK, so am I understanding correctly that you’re telling me Steiner-Waldorf schools are brainwashing children into believing that science is defective as a way of understanding the world and believing in Anthroposophy?
I assuming you’re not asking me to take this on faith, so let’s test your hypothesis. I know of a dozen or more ex-Steiner school pupils, in their late teens/early 20s, who I could contact via email or facebook; and some current pre-teen pupils. What can I do, e.g. what questions can I ask them, to verify what you’re saying?

Pete K says:

John,
Ask them what they think about the future of technology. Do they think the technology and science of the 21st century will bring fantastic breakthroughs and discoveries that will benefit all mankind? Or do they, instead, believe that the technology of the future will be more Orwellian… Big Brother invading our privacy, challenging our freedoms… stuff like that? Test their personal relationship to technology.

John Stumbles says:

Ah, PeteK! Wondered where you’d got to ; – )
Are you claiming that a pessimistic view of the way science and technology will be exploited by society is a characteristic of Anthroposophically educated people and that everyone else is optimistic about it? Was Eric Blair a Steiner pupil?!
I’m trying to find questions that will elicit characteristic *differences* between Steiner and non-Steiner-educated pupils that would test Margaret Sachs’ hypothesis. I’ve been trying to think of some, and I do have some ideas, though obvious ones like beliefs in supernatural are complicated by parents’ beliefs, so one would probably want to query parents too (which I can do in many cases). But even if you have generally woo-ey but not specifically Anthroposophical parents (I know some) there should be some markers of the specifically Anthroposophical brainwashing Sachs is claiming.

 

Pete_K says:

#181- John Stumbles said: “Are you claiming that a pessimistic view of the way science and technology will be exploited by society is a characteristic of Anthroposophically educated people”
YES – Waldorf people have an expressed disdain for technology. Read any Waldorf website.
“and that everyone else is optimistic about it?”
NO, but let’s see if you can find a Waldorf grad who is optimistic about it. ;)
I think it’s a good question to ask Waldorf grads… not just you John, but anyone who wants to see what is being expressed to the students. Technology is “evil” in Waldorf… and that comes through in their science classes.